|Famous for||Being the first woman mayor of Agra from 1995 to 2000|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 158 cm
in meters– 1.58 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 2”
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party
|Political Journey||• In the early 1990s, she joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
• In 1995, she contested and won the elections for the mayor position from Agra.
• In 1997, she was appointed as the office-bearer of the Scheduled Caste (SC) wing of BJP.
• In 2001, she became a member of the Uttar Pradesh social welfare board.
• In 2002, she became a member of the National Commission for Women, and she served the position till 2005.
• In 2007, she contested and lost the Etmadpur seat in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly election.
• In 2013, she took up the state-level duties that were offered to her by the BJP Uttarakhand, and she continued this till 2015.
• In 2018, she became a member of the State Commission for Protection of Child Rights in Uttarakhand.
• On 21 August 2018, she was appointed as the seventh governor of Uttarakhand. She was also the second woman to become the governor of Uttarakhand.
• On 8 September 2021, she handed over her resignation letter to the President of India Ram Nath Kovind.
• On 20 September 2021, BJP president J P Nadda appointed her as national vice president of the party.
|Honours||• Samaj Ratna in 1996
• Uttar Pradesh Ratna in 1997
• Nari Ratna in 1998
|Date of Birth||15 August 1956 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||65 Years|
|Birthplace||Agra, Uttar Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification(s) Uttarakhand Open University||• M.A.
|Religion||Hinduism Baby Rani Maurya’s Instagram|
|Caste||Dalit India Today|
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Pradeep Kumar Maurya (Member of advisory board, Punjab National Bank)
|Parents||Father– Ram Singh (Party councillor, Agra Municipal Corporation)
Mother– Kusum Devi
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions, etc.: Rs. 21.06 lakh
• Bonds, Debentures, Shares: Rs. 2.95 lakh
• LIC or other insurance: Rs. 3 lakh
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 5.10 lakh
• Jewellery: Rs. 5.50 lakh
• Others: Rs. 9.87 lakh
|Net Worth||Rs. 69 lakh (According to a 2007 affidavit filed by her for elections) MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Baby Rani Maurya
- Baby Rani Maurya is an Indian politician and the seventh governor of Uttarakhand. She is well-known for being the first woman mayor of Agra from 1995 to 2000 and the second woman to become the governor of Uttarakhand.
- Baby Rani’s father, Ram Singh, was loyal to Congress and worked as a party councilor in the Agra Municipal Corporation. With no political family background, Baby Rani Maurya started her political journey in the early 1990s by joining Bharatiya Janata Party as a worker for the party.
- She decided to join BJP after her marriage with Pradeep Maurya, who was the manager of Punjab National Bank (PNB). His family had links with Bharatiya Janata Party.
- In 1995, BJP was looking for a family-oriented woman for the seat of mayor in Agra, and Baby Rani Maurya was the perfect fit for this position. After contesting the election, as expected, she won the election, and she was appointed as the mayor of Agra.
- In 1997, Maurya became the office-bearer of the scheduled caste (SC) wing of BJP. She was given the role to strengthen the BJPs reach among members of scheduled caste communities in Uttar Pradesh. During this time, Ram Nath Kovind was the chairman of the wing.
- Baby Rani Maurya has played an important role in the field of social welfare, especially the welfare of women and their empowerment. For this, she was appointed as a member of the Uttar Pradesh social welfare board, and in 2002, she became a member of the National Commission of Women, where she worked till 2005.
- In 2007, Baby Rani got the BJP ticket for Agra’s Etmadpur seat for the Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election. However, she lost the election to the BSP candidate Narayan Singh Suman. From 2013 to 2015, she took up state-level responsibilities that were assigned to her by the party leaders.
- In 2018, she was appointed as a member of the State Commission for Protection of Child Rights in Uttar Pradesh because of her constant efforts in the field of welfare of children and promoting the importance of education for children.
- Due to her consistent hard work and dedication towards the party, Baby Rani Maurya was appointed as the seventh governor of Uttarakhand by the Indian Government. On 26 August 2021, she was sworn in as the governor at the ceremony that took place at the Raj Bhavan in Uttarakhand. She succeeded Krishan Kant Paul, who was supposed to leave the office on 8 July 2021 but had to work till 25 August 2021 as the decision of appointing his replacement got slightly delayed.
- When the decision of Maurya’s appointment as the governor was finalized, she was in the United States of America for an official visit.
- During an interview, Naveen Jain, a BJP member and mayor of Agra, talked about Baby Rani Maurya and how she would hold senior-level officials accountable for any civic issues concerning people. Further, he talked about an incident including the municipal commissioner and Maurya, Jain said-
Maurya was highly disciplined party worked and maintained strictness during her tenure as the mayor. She used to take public complaints seriously and would always make officials accountable for them. Once she landed in confrontation with the municipal commissioner, who was not ready to act as per mandate of the house. On this, she got down from her chair and sat on the floor of the house in protest. The matter reached the state government, after which the then district magistrate Durgashankar Mishra had to rush to pacify her.”
- Baby Rani Maurya met the home minister of India Amit Shah in New Delhi on 5 September 2021, and since then, talks have been going around that Maurya would be offered a senior position in the Uttar Pradesh government.
- Baby Rani Maurya is a religious person, and her family also actively participates in religious practices. Rani Maurya is often spotted visiting religious places across India.
- In September 2021, Baby Rani Maurya received ‘The Great Indian Woman Award 2021’ for her excellent contribution towards the cause of women empowerment and safety rights for children.
- Baby Rani Maurya practises yoga in the morning to maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep herself mentally and physically active.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic in India, Baby Rani Maurya conducted several donation drives through which she sent food and other essentials to the people and families who were in need. She also donated several medical kits and equipment to the hospitals and police officials.
|↑1||Uttarakhand Open University|
|↑2||Baby Rani Maurya’s Instagram|