|Profession(s)||Actor, Theatre Director, and Theatre Artist|
|Famous Role||Sharda Pandit in the Hindi film ‘The Kashmir Files’ (2022)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 168 cm
in meters– 1.68 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 6”
|Debut||Film: Chhapaak (2020) in cameo role
|Birthplace||Sumbal, Jammu and Kashmir|
|Hometown||Sumbal, Jammu and Kashmir|
|College/University||National School of Drama, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Studied Acting in Koodiyattam (an ancient Indian classical acting form) and Dancing Facebook- Bhasha Sumbli
|Religion||Hinduism Instagram- Bhasha Sumbli|
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Sunil Soni (theatre artist)
|Parents||Father– Agni Shekhar (poet and writer)
Mother– Kshama Kaul (writer and political activist)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bhasha Sumbli
- Bhasha Sumbli is an Indian theatre artist, actor, and theatre director.
- She was brought up in a Kashmiri Pandit’s migrant camp in Delhi. In an interview, while talking about living in such camps, she said,
When my parents were forced to leave Kashmir like the rest of the community, I was a child. We lived in a camp in Delhi. The life there was full of misery. There was a constant fight for bread and blankets. I remember once my elderly grandfather had to almost wrestle with a young man for a blanket. It was so bad… That grief has remained with us.”
- She started writing theatre plays at a very young age. Her first theatre play as a writer was at the age of 15. Some of her plays were published in various national journals.
- While she was studying at the NSD, she wrote a few articles on ancient and popular theatre forms, which were published in the NSD magazine named “Rang Prasang.” In an interview, she talked about studying at the NSD. She said,
We have little left to desire because our faculty comprises seasoned artists who can feel the need for whatever is required, most times before we realise it. We have more than what we could ask for and I can safely say we have the best campus and the best atmosphere for any institution is Delhi and beyond.”
- Bhasha has performed in various Hindi theatre plays including the theatre plays directed by the well-known Kashmiri folk theatre artist Moti Lal Khemu.
- In 2014, she was honoured with Inlaks Theatre Award for her acting skills.
- She has also worked as an acting mentor in a few TV reality shows such as ‘India’s Best Dramebaaz 2’ (2015) and ‘Sabse Bada Kalakar’ (2017).
- Bhasha has organised various acting seminars and workshops for budding actors.
- Sumbli has also acted in a few Hindi TV serials. In the initial years of her acting career, she appeared in a few episodes of the Doordarshan TV serial ‘Ek Tha Rusty.’ She then acted in Sony Entertainment Television’s TV serial ‘Mere Dad Ki Dulhan’ (2019).
- In 2021, she mentored the IPL extravaganza talk show ‘Super Funday’ which was aired on the Star network.
- She came into the limelight with her role as Sharda Pandit in the Hindi film ‘The Kashmir Files’ (2022). In an interview, while remembering her shooting days from the film, she said,
There has often been talk of this brutal massacre at home. When the scene of cutting me with a saw was being shot in the shooting, my health got very bad. I could not see the difference between reel and real life. My BP got low and I started having trouble breathing. After completing the scene, I sat in a corner. At the same time, another scene was being filmed, where people were being shot by standing together. Vivek sir had cast Kashmiri Pandits there. When they were being shot with bullets, I started shouting there and started saying don’t kill my people. I had forgotten that acting was happening. The production team came to me and consoled me. Even Vivek sir came. I was not breathing at that time, I had panic attack. I could not understand how my life would be saved. Then I was sent back to the hotel. I stayed in the hotel room for three days and did not talk to anyone. However, after that I felt very embarrassed that despite being an acting coach, how could I have such a breakdown. I could not even make eye contact with the crew members.”
- She loves reading books and making paintings in her leisure time.
- Bhasha Sumbli is a religious person and has a deep faith in god.
|↑1||Facebook- Bhasha Sumbli|
|↑2||Instagram- Bhasha Sumbli|