Age: 32 Years
Hometown: Welkom, South Africa
Marital Status: Married
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 173 cm
in meters– 1.73 m
in feet inches– 5’ 8”
|Eye Colour||Hazel Grey|
|International Debut||ODI– 24 August 2012 against England at Cardiff
Test– 30 November 2012 against Australia at Perth
T20– 26 March 2008 against Zimbabwe at Bloemfontein
|Jersey Number||#64 (South Africa)
|Domestic/State Team||Eagles, Free State, Somerset, Surrey, Titans|
|Favourite Shot||Pull shot|
|Records (main ones)||• The second South African to “carry his bat” (not out when the team innings is over) in a Test innings since Gary Kirsten, in 2015 against England.
• His partnership of 250 with JP Duminy is the third highest overall in Perth, and the second highest against Australia, in 2016.
• The first South African opening batsman to face 200 or more balls in both innings of a Test, against New Zealand in 2017.
|Career Turning Point||His performance for Free State in 2005 after which he led South Africa in the 2006 Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka.|
|Date of Birth||11 June 1987|
|Age (as in 2019)||32 Years|
|Birthplace||Welkom, Orange Free State Province, South Africa|
|Hometown||Welkom, Orange Free State Province, South Africa|
|School||St. Dominic’s College, Welkom|
|Family||Father– Richard Elgar
Mother– Denise Peart
|Cricketer(s)||Batsman– Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers
Bowler– Allan Donald, Dale Steyn
|Girls, Family & More|
|Wife/Spouse||First- Name Not Known (1st wife-Divorced)
Second- Name Not Known (2nd wife-m. 2017 – present)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dean Elgar
- Does Dean Elgar drink alcohol?: Yes
- During his school cricket days, Dean played against South African born New Zealand fast bowler Neil Wagner.
- In 2005, he was named ‘South African Country Districts Player of the Year’ for his remarkable performances for Free State.
- For the first time, he captained the 2006 Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Sri Lanka.
- He is the 12th overall batsman to get dismissed on 199 in a Test match, against Bangladesh at Potchefstroom.
- Dean had wait twice to make his ODI debut as when he was selected for the Sri Lankan ODI series in early 2012, he had to back off due to an injury. And, when he was supposed to make his ODI debut against England, the match was abandoned due to rain.
- He had a nightmare Test debut against Australia at Perth in 2012, where he got out on zero in both innings.
- Over time, he has earned the reputation of being a gusty, focused, and a technically sound batsman. During the 3rd Test against England at The Oval, he had a suspected broken finger, but despite that, he made a fighting 136 over five and a half hours at the crease.
- During the same series, he became South Africa’s 12th Test skipper when Faf du Plessis missed the Lord’s Test due to the birth of his first child in South Africa.
- He is an avid dog lover.