|Famous For||Singing Punjabi Folklore and Sufi Songs|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet inches– 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms-75 kg
in pounds-165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Black (dyed Golden Brown)|
|Political Party||Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD); January 2009-December 2014
Indian National Congress (INC); February 2016
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP); December 2016
|Political Journey||2009: Joined the Shiromani Akali Dal and contested the Lok Sabha Elections from Jalandhar
2014: Left the Shiromani Akali Dal
2016: Joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in February and the BJP in December
2019: Defeated Aam Aadmi Party’s Gugan Singh by over six lakh votes from the North West Delhi Lok Sabha Constituency
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Padma Shri
• Punjab State Singer Award (Raj Gayak) by the Government of Punjab
• Lifetime Fellowship by Punjabi University, Patiala
• Ambassador of Peace by the Universal Peace Foundation.
• Sangeet Natak Academy Award by the then President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
|Date of Birth||9 April 1962|
|Age (as in 2019)||57 Years|
|Birthplace||Shafipur, Jalandhar, Punjab|
|Hometown||Shafipur, Jalandhar, Punjab|
|School||Govt. Sr. Sec. School, Gakhal Dhaliwal Jalandhar|
|College/University||DAV College, Jalandhar|
|Educational Qualification||10th from Govt. Sr. Sec. School, Gakhal Dhaliwal Jalandhar, Punjab School Education Board Mohali in 1977-78|
|Hobbies||Reading, Listening to Classical Music|
|Controversies||• In 2002, Hans Raj Hans accused T-Series Cassettes owner, Bhushan Kumar, of threatening him through the underworld. He also said that Kumar is trying to finish his career as a singer.
• In 2014, the news of him converting to Islam was doing rounds over the Internet. However, later his son, Navraj Hans rubbished all the news.
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Resham Kaur Hans
|Children||Son– Navraj Hans, Yuvraj Hans
|Parents||Father– Sardar Arjan Singh
Mother– Name not known
|Favourite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Favourite Food||Makki Di Roti & Saron Da Saag|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Actress||Hema Malini|
|Favourite Singer||Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Gurdas Maan|
|Favourite Musical Instruments||Harmonium, Surmandal, Ik Tara|
|Car(s) Collection||• Camry car
• Corolla Car
Gold Ornaments– worth ₹13 lakh
Immovable (worth ₹7.9 crore)
House on Link Road– worth ₹3.05 crore
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 13 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Hans Raj Hans
- Does Hans Raj Hans Smoke?: Not Known
- Does Hans Raj Hans Drink Alcohol?: Not Known
- He belongs to a family of peasants.
- He was inspired for singing after seeing the street singer who visited their village early morning chanting devotional songs.
- Hans has taken his initial training in music from Ustad Puran Shahkoti Sahib.
- He started his career in singing with the album “Jogian Da Kanna Vich” (1983).
- In 1999, he has worked with the famous singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in the film Kachche Dhaage.
- Some of his popular albums include Chorni, Jhanjhar, Mohabbat, and Ishqe Di Barsaat.
- He has sung various blockbuster songs like “Dil Tote Tote Ho Gaya,” “Nachi Jo Sade Naal,” “Dil Chori Sada Ho Gaya,” “Sili Sili Hawa,” and “Nit Khair Manga.”
- Hans has made a small stint in acting with the Punjabi film “MEHANDI SHAGNA DI.”
- He is appointed as the honorary music professor at the Washington DC University and the San Jose State University.
- Hans joined the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) party in 2009 and contested the General elections from the Jalandhar Constituency.
- He gave his resignation from Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in December 2014.
- In February 2016, he joined the Indian National Congress.
- Hans became a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party on 10 December 2016.
- Hans performs at the Wagha Border annually on 14th August in order to spread peace and the feeling of brotherhood between India and Pakistan.
- He got his surname from his music guru, who attached “Hans” after his name as he sings like a swan.
- Hans is the spiritual head of Punjab’s Sufi Darbar.
- He has performed for raising funds for the Indian American Society along with Bill Clinton for the victims of the Gujarat earthquake. Together they raised a fun of 1.5 million USD.
- He has spread the message of “Na Nasha Karo Na Vaar Karo, Je Karna Hai Ta Pyaar Karo” through his singing.
- In order to master the art of singing, Hans has deeply researched various Sufi Saints like Baba Farid, Waris Shah, Baba Bulle Shah and Shah Hussain.
- He was appointed as a member of Jury at the Asia Song Contest in the U.K for 3 consecutive years. He is the only singer to do so.
- In 2019, he replaced Udit Raj and represented the Bharatiya Janata Party in Lok Sabha elections from the North West Delhi Constituency.
- His elder son, Navraj Hans, is married to Daler Mehandi‘s daughter, Ajit Kaur.
- His younger son, Yuvraj Hans, is married to television actress Mansi Sharma.