|Full Name||Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan The Hindu|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 183 cm
in meters– 1.83 m
in feet inches– 6’
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Film (Hindi): Salaam Bombay (1988)
Film (British): The Warrior (2001)
Film (Hollywood): A Mighty Heart (2007)
|Last Film||Angrezi Medium (2020) as “Champak Bansal”
|Awards, Honours||National Film Award
2013: Best Actor for Paan Singh Tomar
Government of India Awards
Note: Along with these, he had many other awards, honours, and achievements to his name.
|Date of Birth||7 January 1967 (Saturday)|
|Birthplace||Jaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Date of Death||29 April 2020 (Wednesday)|
|Place of Death||Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai|
|Death Cause||Colon Infection Hindustan Times
Note: In 2018, the actor had announced that he’d been diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour.
|Age (at the time of death)||53 Years|
|Birthplace||Jaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Hometown||Khajuriya Village, Tonk District, Rajasthan, India|
|College/University||National School of Drama (NSD), New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Diploma in Dramatic Arts from NSD irrfan.com|
|Food Habit||Vegetarian Deccan Chronicle|
|Address||5th floor of an apartment in Oshiwara, Mumbai
|Hobbies||Reading, Playing Cricket|
|Controversy||In July 2016, he landed himself in a controversy over remarks on the Islamic ritual of ‘qurbani’, or sacrificing animals on Eid-al-Adha, while he was promoting his film Madaari in Jaipur. He said, “Jitne rituals hain, jitney festivals hain, hum unka asal matlab bhool gaye hain. Hamne unko ek tamasha bana diya he. (We have forgotten the real meaning behind rituals and festivals and have turned them into a spectacle). Qurbani ek bahut ahem festival hai… it means to sacrifice. A goat was then a prime source of food, and there were many who went hungry. So you had to, in a way, sacrifice something dear to you and distribute it to people.” His comments were criticized by the Muslim clerics. Irrfan in reply tweeted, “Pls Bhaiyon, who r upset with my statement, either u r not ready to introspect or u r in a hurry to reach to a conclusion.”|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Sutapa Sikdar (Dialogue writer)|
|Marriage Date||23 February 1995|
|Wife/Spouse||Sutapa Sikdar (Dialogue writer, m. 1995-present)
|Children||Sons– Ayaan Khan, Babil Khan
|Parents||Father– Sahabzada Yaseen Ali Khan (Entreprenuer)
Mother– Sayeeda Begum
|Siblings||Brothers– Salman Khan, Imran Khan
Sister– Rukhsana Begum
|Actor||Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Marlon Brando|
|Film||The Men (1950)|
|Restaurant||Grand-Hotel du Cap-Ferrat in France|
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 12-14 crore/film|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 344 Crores ($50 million) (as in 2018)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Irrfan Khan
- Did Irrfan Khan Smoke?: Yes
- Did Irrfan Khan Drink Alcohol?: Yes GQ In an interview, he explained his drinking habit –
Drinking’s not a gentleman’s game for me – you know two pegs every evening. If I start drinking, I drink till I drop dead. So generally, I don’t drink, because the next day I don’t like my body, I hate myself. When I was younger, I could keep drinking all night and it wouldn’t hit me that hard.”
- Irrfan was born into a family with royal connections from his mother’s side, and his father was a wealthy Zamindar who wanted him to join their family business of tires.
- In his school, he was a very shy person, and his teachers would often scold him because his voice was never audible in the class.
- Reportedly, he faced a lot of struggle in his teenage, and he even worked as a repairer of air conditioners and also as a tutor to earn his living.
- He aspired to become a cricketer. He was selected for a tournament named CK Nayudu Tournament, which is for players under 23 years, but due to lack of funds, he missed the opportunity.
- While pursuing an MA in Jaipur, he was offered a scholarship to attend NSD (National School of Drama) and thus, he entered the world of drama.
- In his final year at NSD, Mira Nair selected him for a role in Salaam Bombay. However, his role was cut down at the time of its release.
- In the initial days of his stay in Mumbai, he shared a flat with Raghubir Yadav.
- He had a remarkable stint on the small screen too and appeared in many popular television shows, such as Bharat Ek Khoj (1988), Chanakya (1991), Banegi Apni Baat (1993), AnooGoonj (1993), Sara Jahan Hamara (1994), Chandrakanta (1994), Star Bestsellers (1995), and Sparsh (1998).
- Later, he appeared in some unnoticed films during the 90s. But things changed when he got the opportunity to play a role in the British-Indian film ‘The Warrior.’
- He rose to fame with his negative role in Tigmanshu Dhulia‘s film- Haasil in 2003.
- In 2005, he got his first lead role in the film “Rog”, after many of his films got shelved.
- He met the love of his life- Sutapa Sikdar (now wife) in NSD where they used to study in the same class. She belongs to a Hindu Brahmin family.
- Irrfan changed the name of his spelling from “Irfan” to “Irrfan” in 2012, but there was no numerology behind this, he just liked the sound of extra “r” in his name.
- He had a dream of gifting her mother a suitcase full of money one day.
- His acting in the film “Paan Singh Tomar” (based on the life of Paan Singh Tomar) was critically acclaimed both by the audience and critics, and he also got many accolades for the film, including the National Film Award for Best Actor.
- His acting in the film “Lunch Box” was also critically acclaimed, and it became the only Indian movie to get a TFCA Award (Toronto Film Critics Association).
- For his commitment to the films- Lunch Box and D-Day, he turned down a quite big role in the movie- Interstellar; as he had to leave India and stay in the USA for four months.
- He once told that in 1993, he didn’t have enough money to watch Jurassic Park, but in 2015, he appeared in the American film- Jurassic World.
- Apart from acting, he had also voiced two video games titled “Lego Jurassic World” and “Lego Dimensions”.
- In September 2015, the Rajasthan government named him the brand ambassador of “Resurgent Rajasthan” campaign.
- Just because his name resembled a terror suspect, he was detained twice at Los Angeles Airport.
- He was very selective when it came to scripts, and he used to do good research on his role. His writer-wife once told that she had to rewrite the script of some of the episodes of “Banegi Apni Baat” a dozen times because Irrfan wasn’t satisfied with it.
- Despite being born in a Pathan family, he hated Non-Vegetarian food, and his father often used to say that he was a Brahmin born in Pathans. In an interview, he said,
My family would tell me, Brahmin paida hua Pathano ke ghar mein.” Deccan Chronicle
- Irrfan had deep compassion for animals. In an interview, he said,
Dad always used to take us along when he went hunting. For us, it was adventurous; but when I went with my sister or my little brother, it was a bit traumatic because even though we enjoyed the mystery of the jungle and being in a new environment, when a wild animal was ultimately killed, we used to imagine what would happen to the animal’s family or its mother. We used to create an emotional connect with the animal. I learnt how to use the rifle, but I never hunted with it. I also strangely, did not eat non-vegetarian food; maybe I didn’t enjoy the taste.” Deccan Chronicle
- He was the first Bollywood actor to have acted in two films that won the Academy Awards – Slumdog Millionaire (2008) and Life of Pi (2012). However, the first choice for this role in Slumdog Millionaire was Gulshan Grover.
- For the film “Piku”, he rejected Ridley Scott’s film- The Martian.
- Reportedly, Irrfan just took two hours to read the script of Blackmail and agreed to do it. It was also reported later that he was diagnosed with a tumour at the time of the shoot of this film.
- On 16 March 2018, he revealed that he was suffering from a rare disease called “NeuroEndocrine Tumour”, a situation in which the neuroendocrine cells grow into tumours.
- There’s a one rupee Indian currency note; bearing his date of birth on it.
- His death on 29 April 2020 was mourned across the nation, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and many Bollywood celebs.
- Irrfan Khan had very expressive eyes, and once a critic said,
Irfaan’s eyes speak louder than his words.”
|↑5, ↑7, ↑8||Deccan Chronicle|