Age: 61 Years
Wife: Medha Manjrekar
|Full Name||Mahesh Vaman Manjrekar|
|Profession(s)||Actor, Director, Screenwriter, Producer|
|Famous Role||Raj Yadav/Baali in the Bollywood Film Kaante (2002)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet inches– 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 75 kg
in pounds– 165 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||– Chest: 40 Inches
– Waist: 33 Inches
– Biceps: 12 Inches
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS)
|Political Journey||• Joined the MNS (2014)
• Contested the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections from the Mumbai North-West Constituency; lost to Gajanan Kirtikar of Shiv Sena.
|Debut||Film: Jeeva Sakha as Inspector Jamdade (Marathi, 1992), Vaastav: The Reality (Bollywood, 1999), Slumdog Millionaire as Don Javed (Hollywood, 2008)
Directorial: Aai (Marathi, 1995), Vaastav: The Reality (Bollywood, 1999)
Production: Aai (Marathi, 1995), Pran Jaaye Par Shaan Na Jaaye (Bollywood, 2003)
TV: Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 1 (2006)
|Awards||National Film Award for Best Regional Film (2001)|
|Date of Birth||16 August 1958 (Saturday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Don Bosco High School, Mumbai|
|College/University||University of Mumbai|
|Controversies||• In the year 2002, he told the police that he had spoken to the underworld from a hotel in Nashik in the company of actor Sanjay Dutt, filmmakers Sanjay Gupta and Harish Sughand. However, he later turned hostile in court and denied speaking to anyone.
• In May 2013, the poster of Mahesh Manjrekar’s Marathi film “Kokanastha” attracted criticism because it showed the actor Sachin Khedekar dressed as an RSS Swayamsewak with a tag line: Taath Kana, Haach Baana (A straight spine is our character). People called it “Brahmin Supremacist.” However, Mahesh rubbished all the claims of supremacism and said, “I’m making a movie in a free country in keeping with the law. I can’t go around seeking approval for the poster. People are entitled to their views as I am to mine.”
• Manjrekar has also faced criticism in the Marathi Film Industry for being biased.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Deepa Mehta (Costume Designer)
• Medha Manjrekar (Actress)
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife: Deepa Mehta (Ex-Wife)
• Second Wife: Medha Manjrekar
|Children||Son– Satya Manjrekar (Actor, from the first wife Deepa Mehta)
Daughter(s)– Ashwami Manjrekar (Actress, Film Producer, Chef; from the first wife, Deepa Mehta)
Saiee Manjrekar (Actress, from the second wife Medha Manjrekar)
Gauri Ingawale (Actress, Step-daughter)
|Parents||Father– Name Not Known
Mother– Name Not Known
|Siblings||Brother– Shailesh Manjrekar
Sister– Devyani Manjrekar
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mahesh Manjrekar
- Does Mahesh Manjrekar smoke?: Not Known
- Does Mahesh Manjrekar drink alcohol?: Yes Times of India
- Mahesh has a deep interest in acting since childhood.
- He joined theatre when he was in college.
- In 1984, he started his career in acting with the Marathi play, Aflatoon. His performance in the play was appreciated by the audience.
- Manjrekar has also done plays like “All the Best,” “Dhyanimani,” and “Gidhade.”
- He made his film debut in 1992 with the Marathi film “Jeeva Sakha” in which he played the role of “Inspector Jamdade.”
- In 2006, he participated in the dance reality show ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ Season 1 and became the second runner-up.
- He was also a part of the Hollywood Oscar-winning film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ (2008).
- Apart from acting, he has also written and directed various popular films like ‘Aai’ (Marathi, 1995), ‘Vaastav: The Reality’ (Bollywood, 1999), ‘Nidaan’ (Bollywood, 2000), and ‘Astitva’ (Marathi/Hindi, 2000).
- He has featured in many successful Hindi films including “Vaastav: The Reality,” “Plan,” “Musafir,” “Zinda,” and “Dus Kahaniyaan.”
- He has also tried his hands in singing and has lent his voice to several songs from films like ‘Kaante’ (2002), ‘City of Gold- Mumbai 1982: Ek Ankahee Kahani’ (2010), etc.
- He contested the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections as a candidate of the Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, from the Mumbai North-West constituency. He lost the elections to Gajanan Kirtikar of Shiv Sena.
- In 2018, he hosted the first season of ‘Bigg Boss Marathi.’
- Mahesh has played a cameo in the Bollywood film “Sanju.”
- Manjrekar has also featured in the Netflix’s series “Selection Day” in which he played the role of the cricket coach ‘Tommy sir.’
- Manjrekar is fond of playing cricket. He told in an interview that he had played cricket a lot in his childhood, that too under Ramakant Achrekar.
- In 2000, Manjrekar arranged a free screening of his film “Astitva” for the women. He didn’t expect many people at the screening, but a huge crowd approached the theatre where the screening was arranged. The crowd was so huge that his team had to call the police to manage them.
- According to Mahesh, Sanju was a commercial success, but it was lacking as a biopic. He said if it would have have been directed by him, he would have done it with a different approach.
- Manjrekar has acted in around 75 films and has written and directed around 25 films in his career spanning over 20 years.
- Mahesh told during an interview that Salman Khan was his only friend in Bollywood.
|↑1||Times of India|