|Other name||Satwiksai Raj Rankireddy Facebook-SatwiksaiRajRankireddy|
|Profession||Indian Professional Badminton Player|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 182 cm
in meters– 1.82 m
in feet & inches– 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 75 kg
in pounds– 165 lbs
|International Debut||Asian Junior Badminton Championship 2015 (Men’s Doubles)|
|Coach/Mentor||• Pullela Gopichand
• Kim Tan Her
|Events||• Men’s Doubles
• Mixed Doubles
|Highest Ranking||• 7 (MD 12 November 2019)
• 19 (XD 2 February 2021)
• 2016: Mauritius International, Men’s Doubles, Mauritius
• 2016: India International Series, Men’s Doubles, India
• 2016: Tata Open India International, Men’s Doubles, India
• 2016: Bangladesh International, Men’s Doubles, Dhaka, Bangladesh
• 2016: Mauritius International, Mixed Doubles, Mauritius
• 2016: India International Series, Mixed Doubles, India
• 2016: Bangladesh International, Mixed Doubles, Dhaka, Bangladesh
• 2018: Commonwealth Games, Men’s Doubles, Gold Coast, Australia
|Badminton World Federation (BWF) Tournament(s)||BWF International Challenge tournament
• 2015: Winner at Tata Open India International, Mixed doubles
• 2016: Winner at Bangladesh International, Mixed doubles
• 2016: Winner at Tata Open India International, Men’s doubles
• 2016: Winner at Bangladesh International, Men’s doubles
• 2017: Winner at Vietnam International, Men’s doubles
• 2019: Winner at Brazil International, Men’s doubles
BWF International Series tournament
BWF Future Series tournament
|Awards & Honours||Arjuna Award 2020|
|Date of Birth||13 August 2000 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||21 Years|
|Birthplace||Amalapuram, Andhra Pradesh|
|Hometown||Amalapuram, Andhra Pradesh|
|School||• Aditya Public School, Amalapuram
• Chaitanya High School, Amalapuram
|Educational Qualification||Pursuing Bachelor in Commere (Distance Education)|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian The Indian Express|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Listening to music|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father– R. Kasi Viswanatham (Retired physical education teacher)
Mother– Rangamani (Teacher)
|Siblings||Brother– Ramcharan Rankireddy (Badminton player)
|Badminton Players||P. V. Sindhu, Srikanth Kidambi|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Satwiksairaj Rankireddy
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy is a professional Indian badminton player, specialised in men’s doubles and mixed doubles events.
- Satwiksairaj started playing badminton at the age of 6, getting inspiration from his father, Vishwanadham Rankireddy, who is a former state-level badminton player himself and his brother, Ramcharan Rankireddy, who is also a professional badminton player. Satwiksairaj was initially trained by his father at the Officer’s Club in Amalapuram. Satwiksairaj participated in various club events and state district level championships under the mentorship of his father.
- At the age of 11, Satwiksairaj participated in a district tournament in a men’s double and ended up winning his first state championship, getting a direct entry for the Sub-Junior State Badminton Championships in the U-13 category.
- In 2014, Satwiksairaj joined the Pullela Gopichand Academy in Hyderabad for getting professionally trained under Gopichand’s mentorship. During the initial phase of his career, Satwiksairaj played both singles and doubles but the outcomes were better in doubles therefore they decided to proceed with training Satwiksairaj as a doubles specialist. On developing his attacking style as a doubles player, he said
It is tougher to play doubles because there needs to be a good understanding between partners, good communication and the right mindset.” “In singles, you play alone, but in doubles, if your partner is not feeling good you will lose the match. Doubles is also a faster game and you need to play more rallies, more smashes. You need more brains and it’s a mind-game.”
- Satwiksairaj during an interview mentioned that it was not easy for his family to arrange money for his training and for sending him to various events. He said
Initially, it was academy fees was high at that time and to play tournaments on your own without sponsors was really a tough time for my parents, but they managed somehow, they never told me about such issues to me. They themselves kept hide inside and struggled for me when I started winning tournaments in India, then academy told to me pay half fee and substantially, I got Yonex and Gosports as sponsors.”
- Satwiksairaj first came into the limelight, after winning his first national-level title at the Sub-Junior Nationals Badminton with his partner Krishna Prasad Garaga in the U-17 category.
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy marked his international debut along with Krishna Prasad Garaga at the U-17 Boys’ Doubles at the “Asian Junior Badminton Championship 2015,” where they earned their first International Gold medal together.
- Satwiksairaj won his first international title the “Tata Open India International 2015,” where he was partnered with Kullapalli Maneesha for a mixed doubles event.
- The year 2016 proved to be the turning point for Satwiksairaj’s career when he won 3 mixed doubles titles and 4 doubles titles in the International Challenge Series including the Mauritius International, India International Series, Tata Open India International, and Bangladesh International.
- In 2016, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy’s coach, Kim Tan Her, paired Satwiksairaj with Chirag Shetty for the Maiden senior national double which later emerged as a dynamic duo of Indian badminton. On being paired with Chirag Shetty, Satwiksairaj said it was not an easy adjustment for both of them. Chirag hails from Mumbai and Satwiksairaj belongs to the small town of Amalapuram in the East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. The difference in personalities was not letting them infuse with each other. Satwiksairaj shares his experience as
When I used to play with Krishna (Prasad) there was good understanding and communication between both of us but when I partnered with Chirag, there was so much misunderstanding as who will play front who will play at the back, there was a lot of communication problem.”
He further added
We also started staying in one room. Earlier we used to stay in different rooms. I used to go out with Telugu people a lot. Then I didn’t like to go out with North Indian guys. He used to eat everything, I used to eat only Indian food. So I used to go alone. Our coach told us to stay together, go out together and now we have become good friends, he knows me well now and I know all about him as well.”
- The duo of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty first came into the limelight after winning the Tata Open India International Challenge 2016. Later that year, the duo won the titles of Mauritius International, India International Series, Bangladesh International and Vietnam Open international challenge.
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty won a Gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in a mixed team even hosted in the Gold Coast, Australia. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy also competed in the men’s doubles event at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, winning a silver medal at the event.
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy along with his badminton partner was nominated for BWF Most Improved player of the year awards 2018.
- Rankireddy began his Premier Badminton League (PBL) career in 2017 by participating in the Hyderabad Hunters team. Satwiksairaj was one of the most popular players of his team.
- In 2019, Satwiksairaj along with Chirag Shetty defeated China’s reigning World Champion duo Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen and won the Thailand Open Doubles title, becoming the first Indian badminton doubles players to win the Super 500 series title.
- In June 2021, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy qualified for the Tokyo Olympics along with Chirag Shetty for the Men’s Doubles category.
- On 30 June 2021, Andhra Pradesh CM, Shri YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, felicitated Satwiksairaj Rankireddy on his qualification for the Tokyo Olympics 2020. Satwiksairaj was also honoured with a grant of Rs. 5 Lakhs by the CM for preparations for the upcoming Olympic games.
|↑2||The Indian Express|