|Known for||Working as a reporter for the Arabic-language channel Al Jazeera for more than twenty-five years|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 65 kg
in pounds– 143 lbs
|Hair Colour||Light Brown|
|Debut||TV: Reporter on the Arabic-language channel Al Jazeera (1997)|
|Awards||• In 2001, she was awarded at the Dubai Press Club and was named a Media Personality of the year.
• In 2004, she was presented a medal by the Libyan President for courage in her coverage of the Palestinian second Intifada.
|Date of Birth||3 January 1971 (Sunday)|
|Date of Death||11 May 2022|
|Place of Death||Jerusalem|
|Age (at the time of death)||51 Years|
|Death Cause||Killed by a gunshot Independent|
|School||Rosary Sisters’ High School, Jerusalem|
|College/University||• Jordan University of Science and Technology
• Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan
|Educational Qualification(s) The Times of Israel||• She studed architecture at Jordan University of Science and Technology (dropout)
• Bachelor’s of Journalism
|Controversy||Shireen attracted controversy after she died on 11 May 2022. One of her fellow journalist, Ali al-Samoudi, who was also injured during the coverage of raids alleged that Shireen was shot by Israeli army, and not by the Palestinian fighters. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
The first bullet hit me and the second bullet hit Shireen. They killed her in cold blood because they are killers and they specialize in killing only the Palestinian people. There was no Palestinian military resistance at all at the scene.
The Israeli army denied his claims and said that the raid was conducted in Jenin refugee camp, but it did not target the journalists. BBC News
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Unmarried|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shireen Abu Aqleh
- Shireen Abu Aqleh was a Palestinian-American journalist who worked as a reporter for the Arabic-language channel Al Jazeera for more than twenty-five years before her death. She was shot by the Israel Defense Forces on 11 May 2022.
- In 1994, she founded the Voice of Palestine (PBC) radio channel and worked there as a radio correspondent and presenter. In 2004, she worked as a professor at the Birzeit University.
- After Shireen died, the Palestinian Health Ministry reported about it. The raid that she was covering was being conducted to capture terror suspects. She was taken to the Ibn Sina Hospital immediately after being shot, but the doctors declared her dead. Reportedly, the IDF soldiers fired at the Palestinian militants in which Shireen was also shot, even when she was wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest, with “press” written on it. Her fellow reporter said that she was deliberately shot under her ear. Israeli Prime Minister, Naftali Bennett, expressed condolences on her death and said,
According to the information we’ve gathered, it appears likely that armed Palestinians — who were indiscriminately firing at the time — were responsible for the unfortunate death of the journalist.”
- In an interview, she talked about her dreams and said,
I would like to have time to read, play the piano and travel. It seems to me that I have had to postpone my private life.”
- She was a passionate animal lover and often posted pictures of them on social media.
|↑2||The Times of Israel|