Wife: Bharti Singh
Age: 68 Years
|Full Name||Vijay Kumar Singh|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Retired Indian Army Personnel|
|Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Singh joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in March 2014.
• In May 2014, he won the Ghaziabad Constituency in the general elections and became a Member of Parliament (Loksabha) that year.
• He was named as Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region on 26th May 2014 and was also named the Union Minister of State for External Affairs.
• In the 2019 General Elections, he was re-elected to the Lok Sabha from the Ghaziabad Constituency of Uttar Pradesh and became the Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways.
|Service Years||14 June 1970 – 31 May 2012|
|Commands||• 2nd Btn. Rajput Regiment (Kali Chindi)
• 168th Infantry Brigade
• Victor Force, Rashtriya Rifles
• II Corps
• Eastern Army
• Chief of the Army Staff
|Wars/Battles||• Indo-Pakistani War of 1971
• Operation Pawan
• Kargil War
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||10 May 1951|
|Age (as in 2019)||68 Years|
|Birthplace||Bhiwani, East Punjab (now in Haryana), India|
|Hometown||Bhiwani, East Punjab (now in Haryana), India|
|School||Birla Public School, Pilani, Rajasthan|
|College/ University||National Defence Academy, Pune, Maharashtra
United States Army War College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
|Family||Father– Jagat Singh
Mother– Krishna Kumari
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Not Known
|Caste||Kshatriya (Rajput) Hindustan Times|
|Address||House No. R-2/27 Rajnagar Tehsil and District Ghaziabad|
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga, Reading|
|Controversies||• At the fag end of his career, a dispute regarding his date of birth, caused him to become the first serving officer of the Indian Army to take the government to court. Mr. Singh lost the age war when the Supreme Court if India “refused to intervene.” The court ruled that Singh had on three occasions accepted the misrecorded date.
• In 2012, in an interview given to the BBC, Mr, Singh said that he had reported to A. K. Antony, the then defence minister of India, that he had been offered a bribe of US$2.7 million if the army bought several hundred sub-standard vehicles. In a rebuttal to the interview, Antony said that he had requested at the time that Singh provide a written report regarding the incident and that this had never been submitted.
• When a correspondence between the general and the then Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh, was leaked, it further created a political row; criticizing the standard of India’s defences.
|Favourite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Bharti Singh (m.1975- present)
Daughters: Mrinalini Singh
|Car||Innova HR-26 BS-1551; Model 2012|
|Assets/Properties||• Bank Deposits: Rs. 75.47 Lakh
• Bonds/Shares: Rs. 1.22 Crore
• Jewellery: Worth Rs. 15.60 Lakh
• Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 1.30 Crore
• Non-Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 1.66 Crore
• Commercial Building: Worth Rs. 11 Lakh in Greater Noida
• Residential Building: A 1400 sq. ft. flat in Gurgaon worth Rs. 30 Lakh
|Salary (as a Lok Sabha Member)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 5.65 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About V.K. Singh
- Does V.K. Singh smoke: Not Known
- Does V.K. Singh drink alcohol: Not Known
- Singh is a retired four-star general from the Indian Army and is now a politician.
- During his military service, he served as the 24th Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army from 2010 to 2012. He was the first commando to achieve that position.
- While at the Indian Army, he commanded the Victor Force, part of the “Rashtriya Rifles,” and also Ambala-based II Cops.
- Singh, while with the Indian Army, also served as the Colonel General Staff (Col GS) of 12 Infantry Division.